Pop-up review: Latrine reigns supreme at interactive event based on Amazon’s ‘Fairfax’

Pulled straight from Amazon Prime's new show "Fairfax," The Latrine pop-up features a statue out front of a hype beast beekeeper in full decked out in branded gear. The space melds pop culture with the show's plot line, centered around (Natalie Brown/Daily Bruin)

Correction: The original version of this article incorrectly stated that areas for the VIP event were open for visitors going forward. In fact, these areas were only open for VIP guests that one night.

The Latrine Store

427 N Fairfax Avenue

Los Angeles, CA

This post was updated Nov. 4 at 12:08 p.m.

Attention all Hypebeasts – the Latrine store just dropped its latest collection.

Amazon Prime’s latest animated television series centering on the social media and image-obsessed next generation, “Fairfax,” is opening a pop-up pulled straight from the screen. The store will be located on North Fairfax Avenue between Wednesday and Friday, next to the block’s more infamous storefronts such as Supreme, Aape and RipNDip. As a parody of the Supreme store, the show’s central Latrine store is open for fans, or Hypebeasts, as the series lovingly calls them, to bounce through a variety of interactive experiences, grab a bite from local Fairfax food vendors and top it all off by purchasing some Latrine-branded merchandise. Providing apt social commentary on streetwear’s transformation while paying homage to the practitioners of hypebeast culture, the space appeals to streetwear nerds and regular Angelenos alike, making it an exceptional spot to visit in the Melrose area.

As for the event itself, the space is an explosion of visuals with poster-clad walls and signage reminiscent of city life and an in-house DJ blasting the latest hip-hop hits from artists like Doja Cat, City Girls and O.T. Genasis. Despite the buzz, the space remains quite artfully organized, although its best efforts are hindered by the small venue, which leaves visitors feeling a little cramped. As an antidote, VIP visitors were able to take a breather and explore the outdoor lot, which was staged as a garden and offers a photo area and drinks.

The indoor space of the pop-up features various activities and photo ops
The indoor space of the pop-up features various activities and photo ops, including a drop lever which lets visitors test their luck at winning anything from a Latrine salad spinner to a skateboard deck. (Natalie Brown/Daily Bruin)

[Related: Coterie Couture: Rave fashion embraces individualism through bold, eclectic styles]

Governed by a cashless system, the store is equipped with Latrineum cards that are preloaded with a set amount of this fictional currency. Cards are given to guests upon entry to partake in a variety of activities, including carnival-like games and rides. The artificial currency also “purchase” food, drinks or pieces of the store’s limited-edition merchandise – making it an inventive means to expedite wait times for interactive features.

In the center of the indoor space, one such activity is the large ride #Verified, where visitors mount a white checkmark-shaped “bull” and try to stay on as long as they can, all while a giant photo booth captures the Instagram-worthy moment. This centerpiece not only ties the room together aesthetically but also underscores the photo-focused generation at the forefront of the series.

The Drop Lever is a feature also worth the wait. For this hands-on experience, each visitor can test their luck by pulling down a giant red lever to see what prize they can win – and as every hypebeast knows, trying to cop the latest T-shirt, hoodie or pair of sneakers isn’t easy. While the low-end prizes at this feature include branded beanies, orthodontic headgear and salad spinners, some participants will be lucky enough to go home with a Latrine skateboard deck.

For a more relaxing experience, VIP visitors were able to catch up on episodes of “Fairfax” in the pop-up’s very own viewing room, which is efficiently sheltered in a dimly-lit silent space away from the indoor and outdoor commotion. By strapping on a pair of headphones and lounging on a sofa, fans are immersed in the world of the show, void of any distraction.

(Natalie Brown/Daily Bruin)
A spoof on the brand Supreme, the Latrine store offers merchandise from beanies to turkey basters, and includes a collaboration with Jeff Staple. (Natalie Brown/Daily Bruin)

[Related: Alumnus reflects on journey from student-athlete to style influencer]

Aside from these activities, the most creative parts of the experience are key pieces from the limited-edition merchandise, some of which were created in collaboration with streetwear mogul Jeff Staple and feature his signature pigeon emblem. Other garments essential to the Latrine collection include a Dr. Phil box logo tee, which spoof those made by Supreme since 2005, and feature celebrities like Gucci Mane, Kate Moss and Mike Tyson. Items in the drop beyond these two – though arguably offering social commentary on the power of a logo – seem repetitive and rote, simply printing “Latrine” onto generic pieces of clothing.

Behind the elaborate merchandise opportunities and Instagrammable interactive experiences, it is the staff members working at the Latrine store who truly sell the event by staying in character the entire time and ensuring the hype is maintained by dancing to the music and acting like employees at the fictional Latrine. They also enforce COVID-19 precautions including mask-wearing policies and diligent sanitization after each experience.

For those looking to spice up their daily routine, this pop-up is a surreal experience for individuals even moderately invested in streetwear culture. Whether visitors choose to come for the interactive experiences, to watch the show or to cop the exclusive merch, they’ll be sure to stay because of the engaging commentary the space provides.

Turning hypebeast ideals on their head, the “Fairfax” pop-up embodies Los Angeles identity: influencer culture and exclusive clothing.