Wednesday, April 24

Women’s soccer coach Amanda Cromwell to leave UCLA after 9 seasons

UCLA women's soccer coach Amanda Cromwell walks on the field. Cromwell will leave the Bruins after nine seasons to reportedly become the coach for the NWSL's Orlando Pride. (Marc-Anthony Rosas/Daily Bruin)

This post was updated Dec. 3 at 12:03 p.m. to include UCLA Athletics’ confirmation of Cromwell’s departure.

After nine seasons, Amanda Cromwell is leaving Westwood.

UCLA Athletics confirmed Cromwell’s departure from UCLA women’s soccer for “other opportunities” Friday morning and added that the search for a replacement will begin immediately. The Equalizer’s Jeff Kassouf reported Monday that Cromwell will be leaving the Bruins to become the next head coach of the National Women’s Soccer League’s Orlando Pride. 

Cromwell was hired in 2013 to replace B.J. Snow and led the Bruins to their first national championship in her inaugural season with the program. During Cromwell’s nine seasons at UCLA, the Bruins had three College Cup appearances on top of winning the only championship in school history 2013. The blue and gold has also boasted four Pac-12 championships during her tenure, including back-to-back conference titles in the past two seasons.

“I am so thankful for spending nine fantastic years at UCLA,” Cromwell said in a statement released through UCLA Athletics. “The players on the field, the coaches by my side and the administration supporting the program made this experience truly exceptional. The competitive excellence and the people at UCLA reminded me to ‘make each day your masterpiece.’”

Cromwell started her coaching career as an assistant coach at her alma mater, Virginia, before being hired as the head coach at the University of Maryland-Baltimore County in 1996. After one season in Maryland, she took the head coaching job at the University of Central Florida, where she coached for 14 years before joining UCLA.

Cromwell has garnered two Pac-12 Coach of the Year awards and boasts a 372-128-47 overall record during her college coaching career.

Orlando’s coach, Marc Skinner, resigned in July of this year after being hired in 2019. Cromwell is set to serve as the franchise’s third-ever head coach.

Cromwell would join a Pride team headlined by Alex Morgan and Marta. Also on the roster are former Bruins Sydney Leroux and Viviana Villacorta. Cromwell coached the latter in her time as UCLA’s head coach.

The departure will open a head coaching spot with the UCLA program that has the No. 1 overall recruiting class in 2022. The Bruins have failed to make a run in the NCAA tournament in Cromwell’s final two seasons, getting upset by Clemson and UC Irvine, respectively, over the last two years.

“I have a heavy heart leaving the players and coaches, but I know the future is very bright,” Cromwell said in the statement.

With Cromwell on the way out, athletic director Martin Jarmond will face his first coaching vacancy since taking the job at UCLA.

“Amanda’s track record speaks for itself,” Jarmond said in the statement. “With the amount of success she has had, it’s no wonder that other opportunities would come her way, and this takes her one step closer to fulfilling her ultimate goals. We wish her all the best.”

The coaching search will be led by Associate Athletic Director Erin Adkins, according to UCLA Athletics.

Sports staff

Fenn is currently a Sports staffer on the baseball beat. He was previously a reporter on the women's soccer beat and a contributor on the beach volleyball and men's and women's golf beats.