Crimewatch: November 2021

Editor’s note: The crimewatch map omitted two reported incidents for which the locations were unclear.

UCPD recorded 558 unique entries in its November daily crime log.

Sources: UCPD. Graphic reporting by Justin Jung, city and crime editor. Interactive by Laurel Woods, Data editor.

University police received 110 crime reports in November that resulted in active police cases.

Of the 110 crime reports resulting in cases, 51 were open cases and 59 were closed or inactive as of Dec. 1, according to a UCPD crime and fire log.

Theft and burglary was the most commonly reported category, with 51 reports resulting in police cases. Trespassing and traffic or vehicular reports were equally second-most common, with 11 per category.

Two reports resulting in open cases were listed as investigations with location data withheld from the public.

UCPD also recorded 448 events that did not result in active cases, with the following statuses as of Dec. 1:

Detail handled: no report: 96

Report taken: 57

Information only: 40

Non-criminal matter: 92

Warned or advised: 14

Canceled (by any party): 46

Victim not desirous of report: 25

Referred to outside agency: 37

Unable to locate: 30

Field interviewed: 7

Courtesy report: 3

Citation issued: 1

Of the 448 incidents not resulting in cases, 10 were categorized as rape or other sex crime. UCPD categorized six events as rape reports, three as sexual battery reports and one as indecent exposure.

Data for this story was obtained as a public record under the Jeanne Clery Act, which requires universities to report campus crime data.

Some cases listed in this story are currently under investigation. Anyone with information can call UCPD at 310-825-1491.

News senior staff

Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a fourth-year global studies student.

Data editor

Woods is the 2021-2022 Data editor. She is also a fourth-year cognitive science student.