Tuesday, April 23

Power, internet service outages affect Westwood apartments

(Christine Kao/Daily Bruin staff)

Power and internet service outages impacted both private and university apartments Tuesday morning. (Christine Kao/Daily Bruin staff)

This post was updated Dec. 14 at 2:46 p.m.

Apartments in Westwood experienced power and wireless internet service outages Tuesday morning.

At approximately 8:16 a.m., both private and university owned apartments across Strathmore Avenue, Levering Avenue, Glenrock Avenue, Kelton Avenue and Landfair Avenue lost power. Apartments using Spectrum internet also experienced service outages and received notice around 8:30 a.m.

Bill Kisliuk, a UCLA spokesperson, said that wind and rain caused a series of power outages that impacted traffic signals and numerous buildings, including UCLA-owned apartments, in the North Westwood Village area starting from 7:30 a.m. He added that many buildings have now regained electricity.

Spectrum announced in an automated message that service was fully restored at 11:33 a.m. 

Between 6:06 a.m. and 11:10 a.m., the hourly number of internet outage reports in the Los Angeles area for Spectrum rose from 43 to 403, according to Downdetector, a service outage tracking website. 

CBS Los Angeles reported that as of 9:30 a.m. Tuesday, 11,000 Los Angeles Department of Water and Power customers had no electricity, with 5,000 of those impacted in the Westwood area. According to the LADWP, the number of customers impacted decreased from 5,000 to 1,276 in the Westwood and Brentwood neighborhoods, and power is estimated to be fully restored Tuesday at 3:30 p.m.

Tran was the 2021-2022 national news and higher education editor in addition to being a contributor for Enterprise. She was also a fourth-year political science student at UCLA.