COVID-19 protocols force UCLA gymnastics to drop out of Collegiate Challenge

Members of No. 8 UCLA gymnastics form a huddle. The Bruins won’t compete until Jan. 17 after pulling out of the Collegiate Challenge because of COVID-19 protocols within the program. (Kanishka Mehra/Daily Bruin senior staff)

COVID-19 has halted another Bruin program. 

No. 8 UCLA gymnastics will not compete in the Collegiate Challenge in Anaheim on Jan. 8 because of COVID-19 protocols within the Bruin program. The meet would have marked the Bruins’ official season opener, with the event featuring No. 7 California, Arizona and No. 17 Oregon State.

The program participated in its annual Meet the Bruins intrasquad exhibition on Dec. 17, when the team was split into team blue and team gold and competed head-to-head, with the gold squad winning 8-7. The meet marked the program’s first with fans in nearly two years. 

UCLA men’s and women’s basketball have also been forced to call off games because of COVID-19 protocols, as neither has played since Dec. 11. The men’s team canceled three matches and postponed two Pac-12 contests in the past two weeks while the women’s squad has also canceled three games and postponed its first three conference clashes. 

The Bruins are scheduled to compete again Jan. 17 to take on No. 9 Minnesota in Minneapolis.

Boal is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the women's water polo beat. He was an assistant Sports editor on the gymnastics, rowing, swim and dive, men's water polo and women's water polo beats. Boal was previously a contributor on the men's water polo and women's water polo beats.