UCLA gymnastics looks to put best foot forward ahead of Stanford road meet

Freshman Ana Padurariu performs her candle mount on beam, where she has scored a 9.900 in three straight meets. Padurariu and No. 16 UCLA gymnastics are set to take on No. 19 Stanford in the Bay Area on Saturday. (Sakshi Joglekar/Assistant Photo editor)

Gymnastics

Stanford
Saturday, 2 p.m.

Maples Pavilion
Pac-12 Networks

The Bruins are feeling the perfect amount of pressure after setting a new standard for themselves, according to freshman Ana Padurariu.

“It’s a healthy pressure because our whole team is made up of competitors who enjoy the pressure and enjoy competing,” Padurariu said.

On the heels of its best performance of the year, No. 16 UCLA gymnastics will hit the road to square off against No. 19 Stanford on Saturday. The blue and gold’s trip to the Bay Area comes eight days after it set season-high marks on all four events against No. 3 Utah, putting up its best team score in nearly two years.

Coach Chris Waller said his team doesn’t feel an added burden to uphold the standard of its performance against the Red Rocks, but rather the performance has inspired the Bruins to continue to push their limits.

“I don’t think they feel more pressure because they did well,” Waller said. “I think they feel more confident in their ability and the whole team’s ability. I think it’s given them wings.”

Through the first three meets of the season, UCLA increased its team score in each competition but peaked at a score of 196.400, which the Bruins had cleared in seven straight meets entering the 2022 season.

That was until UCLA topped its previous season-high by more than a point against Utah on Feb. 4, registering a 197.650. Waller said his team needed more time in the gym to regain its conditioning level and confidence after missing training days because of COVID-19 prior to the start of the season.

“We needed some time and a few weeks under our belt for them to mentally know it and physically be able to do it,” Waller said. “Everybody felt that swagger they brought to the floor (against Utah). They weren’t competing wondering if they were going to hit. They were going from doing a routine to putting on a performance.”

Three Bruin freshmen – Padurariu, Jordan Chiles and Brooklyn Moors – each set or tied career bests on at least one event in the meet against the Red Rocks.

Padurariu said while she has only competed in four meets so far, her confidence on the competition floor has already elevated.

“It’s really nice to see the small improvements that have paid off from all the hard work in the gym,” Padurariu said. “I feel like the more I compete, the more comfortable I get with my abilities and the less nervous I get.”

The freshman has competed in the leadoff spot on beam for the Bruins in all four meets this season, tallying a 9.900 on the apparatus in three consecutive meets.

While she noted that she disliked being the first competitor on beam as an elite gymnast, Padurariu said leading off for UCLA allows her to set the tone for her team.

“In elite, I hated leading off – but here, it doesn’t give me time to get nervous,” Padurariu said. “As soon as I warm up and I get in the mental zone, then I’m good to go. I love just bringing my energy to start off the beam lineup.”

Saturday’s meet against the Cardinal will also mark the Bruins’ first road meet in three weeks after competing at home in back-to-back meets against Arizona and Utah. The meet against the Red Rocks brought in an audience of 6,351, nearly double the spectators that had shown up to Pauley Pavilion the week prior with the Wildcats in the building.

Waller said transitioning from the large home crowd to a road environment will be a challenge for his team.

“It’s always more difficult to compete on the road,” Waller said. “Competing in our own house with a big, raucous crowd and our Den gives the team a boost. For this weekend, it’s going to be about building that Bruin bubble really strong and competing for the team and with the team the whole time from beginning to end.”

Padurariu said whether or not she has the support of a home crowd, she’s confident she can put her best foot forward.

“As long as I believe in myself and my capabilities, I know I’ll perform at my best abilities,” Padurariu said. “I feel like I can bring that no matter what environment we’re in.”

Competition at Maples Pavilion is set to begin at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

Sports editor

Settleman was the 2022-2023 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and gymnastics beats. He was previously an assistant editor on the gymnastics, women's soccer, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the gymnastics and women's water polo beats.