Wednesday, April 24

Crimewatch: February 2022

UCPD recorded 564 unique entries in its February daily crime log.

Sources: UCPD. Graphic reporting by Maanas Hemanth Oruganti, city and crime editor. Interactive by Laurel Woods, Data editor.

University police received 129 crime reports in February that resulted in active police cases.

Of the 129 crime reports resulting in cases, 59 were open cases and 70 were closed or inactive as of March 6, according to a UCPD crime and fire log.

Theft and burglary was the most common category, with 46 reports resulting in cases, followed by 18 reports of drug and controlled substance, according to the log.

UCPD also recorded 433 events that did not result in active cases, with the following statuses as of March 6:

Detail handled: no report: 93

Report taken: 41

Information only: 36

Noncriminal matter: 83

Warned or advised: 22

Canceled (by any party): 70

Victim not desirous of report: 13

Referred to outside agency: 31

Unable to locate: 28

Field interviewed: 11

Courtesy report: 5

Of the 433 incidents not resulting in cases, five were categorized as rape or other sex crime. UCPD categorized four events as rape reports and one as a sexual battery report.

Data for this story was obtained as a public record under the Jeanne Clery Act, which requires universities to report campus crime data.

Some cases listed in this story are currently under investigation. Anyone with information can call UCPD at 310-825-1491.

Contributing reports by Laurel Woods, Data editor.

Oruganti was the 2021-2022 city and crime editor. He was also the 2020-2021 Enterprise editor and a News staff writer in the City & Crime and Science & Health beats 2020. He was also a fourth-year cognitive science student at UCLA.

×