Tuesday, May 7

Stagecoach 2022: Weekend commences with evening performances from Maren Morris, Thomas Rhett

Festival attendees crowd around the barricade in front of the stage on the first night of Stagecoach Festival. Held in Indio, California, the country music festival's first night featured performances from Maren Morris and Thomas Rhett. (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)

This post was updated May 1 at 10:36 p.m.

With horse and carriage in tow, Stagecoach has made its return.

Hosted each year the weekend after Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival comes to a close, Stagecoach Festival and its two stages are the West Coast’s hub for country music. The Empire Polo Field in Indio, California, is transformed for the third weekend in a row, trading out polo horses for a large sculpture of the animal from Friday to Sunday.

Read on for the Daily Bruin’s coverage of Stagecoach Day 1.

Maren Morris stands with arms gesturing outward, wearing a yellow dress with floral, sequin and fringe touches. The singer took the Mane Stage at 8:30 p.m. prior as the second-to-last set of the night. (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)
Maren Morris stands with arms gesturing outward, wearing a yellow dress with floral, sequin and fringe touches. The singer took the Mane Stage at 8:30 p.m. as the second-to-last set of the night. (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)

Maren Morris

Facing a sea of festival attendees awaiting her, Maren Morris arrived right on time.

The singer took the Mane Stage promptly at 8:30 p.m., marching straight into songs such as “80s Mercedes” with the stage awash in orange and yellow tones, matching Morris’ yellow floral dress. Though the video screens were often lagging behind the audio, the crowd was not any less enthused as it cheered along with her.

Since the Mane Stage’s audience included four tiered areas, each with separate sections, most concert watchers’ only view of the performance was via an array of screens. The videographers responsible for the footage used multiple cameras, angles and effects to their advantage. A close-up on Morris’ face often took up the entirety of the two vertical screens that sat stage left and right, but visual flourishes such as a behind-the-singer shot and a dolly shot – when the camera rolls across the stage – were often used to cinematographic effect.

The cameras panned out to show Morris crooning “I Can’t Love You Anymore” and playing tambourine. Often, the wind gently blew the singer’s hair, but the breeze also caused her to stop midway to remark, “It smells like pot.” The singer followed her comedic remark with a sentimental note about how much has changed since she last performed at Stagecoach five years ago – namely, the fact that she was playing after sunset now. Gesticulating purposefully, Morris then moved on to “Background Music,” which spotlighted her relationship with her husband Ryan Hurd, who performed on the same stage several hours before.

Morris sings onstage with a tambourine clipped to the microphone stand, which she played it for "I Can&squot;t Love You Anymore." (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)
Morris sings onstage with a tambourine clipped to the microphone stand, which she played for “I Can’t Love You Anymore.” (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)

Flying through her discography, Morris picked up an electric guitar to accompany her track “GIRL.” The rock-inspired songs continued as Hurd emerged for “All My Favorite People” and heavier drums then melded into synth for Morris’ hit “The Middle.” Strutting around the stage during the track, Morris drew more attention to the sequined details of her dress and its fringe hem.

The synths deepened to open up “My Church” with organs for the singer’s penultimate track of the night, accompanied by clapping as Morris sang in unison with the crowd, choral style. While phones were mostly not present throughout the performance, festivalgoers whipped their devices out to capture “The Bones” as the stage lit up with sunset colors.

At the end of the Morris’ homestretch, country music lovers found heaven.

(Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)
Headliner Thomas Rhett wears a black button-up and YETI hat for his performance on the Mane Stage. The singer’s last appearance at the festival was in 2017, and he reflected on the various ways his life has changed since then. (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)

Thomas Rhett

On Day 1, Thomas Rhett established friendship as common ground.

The performer served as the first headliner to appear before fans for this year’s Stagecoach Festival, donning a camouflage YETI trucker hat and black button-up for his set at 9:50 p.m. on the Mane Stage. With a rotating cast of guitars – two of which were teal – the performer spun through tracks with frequent calls out to the audience about their shared location and shared attributes, as seen in his lyrics’ subject matter.

Much of his performance time, however, was not spent playing the guitars he brought but instead emphatically beating his chest and pointing, moving about the stage or focusing on footwork. Prior to coming on stage, the cameras streamed footage of the stage lighting up in red from the perspective of the middle of the field, similar to an establishing shot for a TV or film scene. Opening number “Craving You” – originally released featuring prior performer Maren Morris – involved red and white spiraling lights, creating a tornado of visual effects to close out the track.

For the chorus of the next song, “Look What God Gave Her,” Rhett broke the fourth wall, looking straight at the camera. In one of his many references to geographical location, the musician shouted out, “Look what God gave Southern California tonight,” which was met with cheers throughout the venue. Rhett also interacted with the audience by faking them out during “Life Changes.” The pause rippled across the field before Rhett remarked on how his own life had changed since he last performed the song at Stagecoach in 2017 – most notably, that he now has four children instead of just the two mentioned in the song.

With his electric blue guitar, Rhett stands with picky and index fingers raised in the rock 'n' roll hand sign. (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)
With his electric blue guitar, Rhett stands with pinky and index fingers raised in the rock ‘n’ roll hand sign. His performance featured frequent audience interaction and a focus on footwork. (Anya Yakimenko/Daily Bruin)

Transitioning through more tracks, Rhett brought out fellow country singer Jon Pardi for “Beer Can’t Fix,” during which both musicians coordinated their footwork to match the other. Rhett alone then took a bluegrass breakdown for “Country Again,” in which he opened up about his homesickness for Tennessee that comes with residing in California for the music industry.

After the short interlude, the singer sang a few bars of Garth Brooks’ “Friends in Low Places” before asking a festivalgoer to come onstage with him to perform. Wearing a straw hat, the man introduced himself as Michael and belted the song. He was then revealed to be Michael Hardy, a country music artist who performs under the name HARDY. This was not the only surprise of the night, however, as a cowboy hat-donning Ashton Kutcher subsequently joined the duo onstage to finish out the song about friendship.

And with the help of pyrotechnics, sparks flew when Stagecoach collided with Rhett and company.

Daily Bruin senior staff

Durgin is a senior staff writer for Arts & Entertainment. She previously served as the Music | Fine Arts editor from 2021-2022 and was an Arts contributor from 2020-2021. She is a third-year English and geography student from Meridian, Mississippi.

×