Tuesday, May 14

Darnell Hunt to become UCLA’s next executive vice chancellor and provost

In a campuswide email, UCLA Chancellor Gene Block announced that Darnell Hunt (pictured above) will be the next executive vice chancellor and provost beginning in September. Hunt is currently the dean of the Division of Social Sciences. (Courtesy of Darnell Hunt)

This post was updated on July 17 at 11:09 p.m.

Dean of social sciences Darnell Hunt will become UCLA’s executive vice chancellor and provost beginning Sept. 1, according to a campuswide announcement from Chancellor Gene Block on Monday.

As the university’s second-ranking officer, the EVCP acts as UCLA’s partner to the chancellor and works on campus policymaking, planning, initiatives and operations, according to the EVCP website

Hunt, a professor of African American studies and sociology, has worked at UCLA since 2001 when he was appointed as director of the Ralph J. Bunche Center for African American studies, Block said in the announcement. He also later chaired the Department of Sociology before being named dean of the Division of Social Sciences in 2017. 

Hunt will succeed interim EVCP Michael Levine, who took on the position after Emily A. Carter left UCLA in September for a position at Princeton University. Levine will return to his previous position as vice chancellor for academic personnel, according to the announcement. 

[Related: Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Emily A. Carter to depart from UCLA

Hunt has led the Division of Social Sciences to increase and diversify its faculty and has been spearheading the establishment of the Barbra Streisand Center for the Future of Women, Block added in the email. 

Hunt has also been the lead author of UCLA’s Hollywood Diversity Report since 2014, which looks into racial and gender diversity in the film industry. He previously served on the Los Angeles County Commission on Human Relations Academic Advisory Board and as a researcher for the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights’ hearings.

“Given Dean Hunt’s UCLA roots, coupled with his administrative experience and compelling vision for UCLA, I am confident that he will provide extraordinary leadership in this new role,” Block said in the campuswide email. “I greatly look forward to working with him and the campus community to advance our shared goals.”

News editor

Hamilton is the 2023-2024 News editor and a Copy staff member. She was previously the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor and a national news contributor. She is also a third-year gender studies and political science student minoring in professional writing.