Pro Bruin Rundown: Former Bruins place in top 30 of Women’s Scottish Open, sign contracts

Former UCLA men's soccer goalkeeper Justin Garces kicks a ball in a game with the Bruins. Garces has recorded eight saves in consecutive games for Atlanta United 2. (Esther Ma/Daily Bruin staff)

As UCLA Athletics takes a break for the summer, professional sports are still in full swing, with many Bruin alumni representing. Each week during the summer, Daily Bruin Sports will take a look at the standout performances of former UCLA greats from the past week as we count down the days until fall.

Men’s soccer: Justin Garces, Atlanta United

The Bruins’ 2021 Pac-12 All-Conference Second Team honoree put together back-to-back career efforts in the pros.

Former UCLA men’s soccer goalkeeper Justin Garces donned the blue and gold for four years between 2018 and 2021, recording 21 wins in 57 games played.

But before spending time in Westwood, Garces played with the Atlanta United Academy for a year. In January, Garces made his return to Atlanta, signing a homegrown player contract with Atlanta United.

In the final week of July, Garces accumulated 16 saves in two matches for Atlanta United 2 – the United Soccer League affiliate of Atlanta United – including a career-best eight saves in back-to-back games. Added onto his previous total, the former UCLA goalkeeper is now top five in the league in saves.

With the Bruins, Garces was a 2021 captain, finishing his career with 11 shutouts and a .647 save percentage.

Women’s golf: Alison Lee, Lilia Vu, Ryann O’Toole, Bronte Law, Patty Tavatanakit

Five former Bruins gathered top-30 finishes in the Women’s Scottish Open.

Alison Lee managed to improve from sixth place after the second round to clinch a top-five finish, recording a 16-under 272 across four rounds of play with a 6-under 66 in the final round.

The first-ever recipient of the ANNIKA Award, Lee also earned the 2014 Women’s Golf Coaches Association Freshman of the Year award alongside First-Team All-America honors in her lone full season with the Bruins.

Fellow American teammate Lilia Vu – the 2017-2018 Pac-12 Golfer of the Year and finalist for the Honda Award for women’s golf – also notched a top-10 finish, tying for eighth place. The former First Team All-American secured a 14-under 274 finish, highlighted by a 7-under 65 in the first round.

Ryann O’Toole – the final Bruin golfing for the United States in the tournament – also pulled out a 7-under 65 fourth round to secure her 15th-place finish, ending the round with nine birdies. The former UCLA captain finished the tournament with a score of 11-under 277.

Bronte Law, the second player in UCLA history to receive the ANNIKA Award, tied for 18th place with a score of 10-under 278 while representing England. Law finished her Bruin career as the top-ranked collegiate golfer in the nation after earning First Team All-American and All-Pac-12 First Team honors in her final two seasons with the blue and gold.

With Patty Tavatanakit rounding out the roster and tying for 29th place, every former UCLA women’s golfer represented in the Women’s Scottish Open managed a top-30 finish. Tavatanakit was the Pac-12 Freshman of the Year in 2017-2018 and earned First Team All-American and All-Pac-12 First Team accolades in both her years with the blue and gold.

All five former Bruins will now move on to the AIG Women’s British Open, which runs from Thursday to Sunday.

Football: Anthony Barr, Dallas Cowboys

After going through the offseason unsigned, Anthony Barr has found a new home.

The former UCLA football linebacker reached a one-year agreement with the Dallas Cowboys on Wednesday, adding some veteran help to the Cowboys’ roster. Prior to signing with Dallas, Barr had spent all eight seasons of his professional career with the Minnesota Vikings.

Barr was a First-Team All-American and First-Team All-Pac-12 selection in his final year with the Bruins in 2013. The linebacker also gathered finalist contention for the Butkus, Lombardi and Bednarik Awards and won the Lott IMPACT Trophy in his final collegiate season.

Throughout his professional career, Barr has amassed four Pro Bowl selections, 495 tackles, 17.5 sacks, eight forced fumbles and five interceptions in his eight seasons. The former Bruin also had a career-high three interceptions alongside his 2.5 sacks and 72 tackles in 2021.

Ionescu was previously an assistant Sports editor on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, swim and dive and rowing beats, and a contributor on the women's tennis beat.

×