UCLA to remove indoor masking, symptom monitoring requirements starting Aug. 15

A mask lies on a ledge. UCLA will remove indoor masking and symptom monitoring requirements beginning Aug. 15. (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

This post was updated Aug. 14 at 8:08 p.m.

UCLA announced in a campuswide email Friday that indoor masking and symptom monitoring requirements will be removed, effective Monday. 

UCLA is updating its protocols to align with changes made to protocols for Los Angeles County and California, according to the email. 

Indoor masking is now strongly recommended and outdoor masking continues to be optional, according to the announcement

Students, staff and faculty at UCLA will also no longer be required to fill out the daily symptom monitoring survey, according to the announcement. They will instead be asked to fill out a self-assessment and not come to campus if experiencing symptoms. 

The email also announced that the platform for the survey will become the UCLA COVID-19 Action Center, effective Tuesday. According to the announcement, users can submit proof of vaccination or request an exemption from the vaccination policy, update remote status or data privacy settings, upload testing results obtained outside of UCLA, and access resources on COVID-19 protocols on the platform. 

According to the email, students, staff and faculty are still required to show proof of vaccination and boosters if eligible or request an exemption from the policy. 

Positive tests obtained outside UCLA should be reported through the UCLA COVID-19 Action Center and to the COVID-19 hotline, and those who test positive must isolate for 10 days unless the criteria for early release from isolation are met, according to the announcement. 

COVID-19 testing is still optional and available on campus, and students, staff and faculty can test up to two times a week. 

According to the email, a virtual town hall will be held Aug. 23 from 1 to 2 p.m. to cover how protocol has changed on campus and share information on how COVID-19 and monkeypox – declared a national public health emergency Aug. 4 –  are affecting the campus community. 

Individuals who work in health care settings must continue to follow COVID-19 protocols in line with UCLA Health guidance, according to the announcement. 

“We thank you for your continued attention to the evolving challenges associated with COVID-19 and more recently with monkeypox,” said Michael Beck, administrative vice chancellor, and Megan McEvoy, professor in microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics, in the statement. “Resilience is something that our community is known for, and we are confident in our collective ability and desire to do what is needed to keep ourselves and those around us healthy.”

News senior staff

Kumar is a News senior staff reporter for the Bruin. She was previously the 2022-2023 science and health editor and a contributor for the science and health beat and a Graphics staff member. She is also a fourth-year bioengineering student minoring in bioinformatics.