Wednesday, April 24

Bruin Bash announces PinkPantheress as headliner for 2022

21-year-old hyperpop singer-songwriter PinkPantheress will headline Bruin Bash 2022. The annual concert will take place at 7 p.m on Sept. 19 at the Los Angeles Tennis Center. (Courtesy of Steven Nunez)

This post was updated Sept. 19 at 8:37 a.m.

This year’s Bruin Bash lineup has taken flight. 

Following two weeks of air travel-themed posts and videos on both organizations’ accounts, the UCLA Campus Events Commission and Cultural Affairs Commission have announced that PinkPantheress will headline this year’s Bruin Bash, preceded by performances from Ravyn Lenae, Saya Mosaic and DJ Olea. The annual back-to-school concert celebration will return to the Los Angeles Tennis Center at 7 p.m. on Sept. 19.

Announced Saturday, Olea, an alumnus and second-time Bruin Bash performer, will start the show with his DJ set. Soaring in as the evening’s second act is rising third-year psychology student Angela Takagi, performing under the stage name Saya Mosaic.

The R&B neo-soul artist released her most recent EP “Look Up!” in May after dropping her debut EP, “Looking Glass,” in 2021. Saya Mosaic will bring her soulful sound to Bruin Bash after performing in Seattle, San Francisco, Portland and Sacramento this summer as the opener for UMI’s “Forest in the City” tour.

DJ and alumnus Olea (left), R&B neo-soul artist Saya Mosaic (middle) and R&B singer-songwriter Ravyn Lenae (right), will serve as the opening performers for Bruin Bash 2022. (From left to right: Chelsea Westman/Daily Bruin staff, Courtesy of Sandra Jamaleddine, Courtesy of 1883 Magazine)

The evening’s main opening act will be singer-songwriter Ravyn Lenae. In the early years of her career, the alt-R&B artist toured with SZA and released her EP “Moon Shoes” in 2016 and the Steve Lacy-produced “Crush” in 2017. With her signature blend of introspective soul, Lenae is likely to perform hits from her debut album “Hypnos,” which she dropped in May 2022.

Flying in as the event’s headliner, 21-year-old singer-songwriter PinkPantheress will soon touch down on the Bruin Bash stage. Hinted at by CEC and CAC by using “The Pink Panther Theme” in their initial 2022 Bruin Bash announcement video, the alt-pop artist initially rose to popularity through her distinct Y2K aesthetic and viral hyperpop TikTok tracks like “Just a Waste” and “Pain.” Pink Pantheress’ Bruin Bash performance follows her headlining spring U.K. and EU and summer U.S. tours.

Starting last Wednesday, students could purchase tickets on a first-come, first-serve basis via the Bruin Bash website. Floor tickets were distributed first in two installments last Wednesday and Thursday. Stadium tickets became available the next day through the UCLA Central Ticketing Office website. For those unable to secure tickets or who wish to attend virtually, CEC and CAC will host a livestream of the concert for which students can request access for Google form.

Music | fine arts editor

Paxton is the 2022-2023 music | fine arts editor. She was previously an Arts contributor from 2021-2022. She is also a third-year psychobiology student from Morgan Hill, California.