Monday, April 29

Parking at UCLA to be taxed in light of state Supreme Court decision

A parking structure on UCLA’s campus is pictured. UCLA will be required to add a 10% tax on parking space fees on campus after a recent California Supreme Court decision. (Daily Bruin file photo)

UCLA will start collecting a city tax on university parking fees Jan. 1 in accordance with a 2019 California Supreme Court decision.

The city of Los Angeles passed a parking occupancy tax in 1990 requiring those who pay parking fees at privately owned facilities to pay an additional 10% tax to the city. Before the state Supreme Court case – the City and County of San Francisco v. the Regents of the University of California – UCLA community members did not have to pay the parking tax on UCLA-owned property, according to a universitywide email sent Wednesday.

The 10% tax will be applied to all university parking, including employee and student parking permits and daily, visitor and patient parking, according to the email. UCLA will not keep any of the tax money – which will go to the city of LA – and is looking into possible on-campus student exemptions.

New parking fees for January could be found within the email.

News editor

Hamilton is the 2023-2024 News editor and a Copy staff member. She was previously the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor and a national news contributor. She is also a third-year gender studies and political science student minoring in professional writing.

×