Wednesday, April 24

UCLA administration addresses planned strike by academic student workers

Members of the United Auto Workers rally on UCLA's campus. The academic student workers union authorized a strike that will begin on Nov. 14. (Shengfeng Chien/Daily Bruin staff)

UCLA administrators addressed academic student workers’ plans for a Monday strike in a campuswide email Wednesday.

The workers’ union United Auto Workers represents around 48,000 University of California teaching assistants, student researchers and other academic workers. They voted Nov. 2 to authorize an indefinite strike calling for better working conditions and equitable wages. Those participating in the strike may choose to not work until they see improved contracts.

[Related: UC academic employees vote to strike for better working conditions, wages, housing]

The UC is still actively in negotiations with the union, the administrators said in the email, and is discussing demands such as new salary scales, medical benefits and pay increases.

The email also included frequently asked questions from students, including inquiries into exams, grade deadlines, and classes, most of which are expected to continue as scheduled.

“We recognize this strike will have a significant impact on students and we are doing all we can to mitigate any major disruptions to instruction,” the administrators said in the email. “We greatly appreciate your flexibility in these challenging circumstances.”

News editor

Hamilton is the 2023-2024 News editor and a Copy staff member. She was previously the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor and a national news contributor. She is also a third-year gender studies and political science student minoring in professional writing.

×