‘A brand-new year’: UCLA baseball to avenge last season’s losses to Washington

Senior right-hander Kelly Austin looks to home plate in the middle of his delivery. Austin's 0.99 earned run average is among the best in the nation. (Amelie Ionescu/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Baseball

Washington
Friday, 7 p.m.

Jackie Robinson Stadium
Pac-12 Los Angeles
Washington
Saturday, 6 p.m.

Stadium or City
Pac-12 Networks
Washington
Sunday, noon

Stadium or City
Pac-12 Washington

After a perfect 12-0 start at home this season, the Bruins will have the chance to keep up their winning ways against Washington this weekend.

No. 7 UCLA baseball (15-3, 5-1 Pac-12) will welcome Washington (14-5, 2-1) to the friendly confines of Jackie Robinson Stadium for the second and final weekend of its homestand. Fresh off a sweep of Arizona last week, the blue and gold will have the opportunity to avenge its past struggles against the Huskies, who were the only team to sweep the Bruins in the 2022 season and have won five of the last six regular-season matchups.

Senior right-hander Kelly Austin – whose 0.99 earned run average ranks fifth among NCAA pitchers with at least 25 innings pitched – said the team feels motivated to perform better against a Washington team that has lost just five games.

“Obviously, we really want that Washington series,” Austin said. “Last year, they kind of punked us out of their place. So we definitely want to come in sharp and prepared because we know that that’s a team that can go out and get you.”

The Huskies’ sweep of the Bruins last season came in the midst of a five-game skid – the longest UCLA losing streak since 2017.

Despite the recent history, coach John Savage said the team will treat the games against Washington like any other series.

“These guys have good memories,” Savage said. “But I don’t really look at it any different than any other weekend. I’ve been in this league so long that I look at everybody the same to be quite honest with you. I respect everybody that we play.”

UCLA’s 15-3 start to the season is its best record through 18 games since its 2013 national championship season. The team’s pitching staff has been key to its early success, sporting the second-lowest ERA in all of Division I. Led in innings pitched by Austin, the Bruins have posted a 2.38 ERA and are top 10 nationally in strikeout-to-walk ratio and walks and hits per inning pitched.

Savage praised his senior pitcher Austin – the Sunday starter – for his performances this season.

“He’s off to a tremendous start this season,” Savage said. “I can’t say enough about Kelly Austin. He’s a winner. He’s a competitor. And he’s a guy that certainly has lifted our staff quite a bit.”

Offensive production has been headlined by junior third baseman Kyle Karros, junior outfielder JonJon Vaughns and sophomore second baseman Duce Gourson. The three lead all qualified Bruins in home runs, runs batted in, on-base percentage and slugging percentage. Collectively, UCLA has outscored its opponents 140-53 this season.

Sophomore shortstop Cody Schrier – who has reached base at least twice in each of his last seven games – discussed the team’s approach going into this weekend.

“Just come out with the same intensity and fire that we’ve been coming out with,” Schrier said. “We’re not remembering or thinking about last year at all. This is a brand-new year. So we’re going to come out with what we got this year and take it to them.”

This upcoming series will also be the debut of Jackie Robinson Stadium’s new complete replay review system. Umpires will have access to eight different cameras positioned throughout the stadium to assist with assessing close plays and challenged calls. Teams can only challenge a select number of plays per game and only certain calls are eligible for review.

Savage said he appreciates the addition of video review to conference play.

“The West Coast is clearly behind on replay. The Pac-12 is for sure behind,” Savage said. “But I like it. It takes the heat off the umpires a little bit. Calls get right. If you question the call, you ask for it. Take a look at it.”

The series at Jackie Robinson Stadium is set to begin Friday at 7:00 p.m.

Sports contributor

Smith is currently a contributor on the beach volleyball beat. He was previously a contributor on the men's soccer beat.

×