Thursday, May 16

USAC 2023-2024 Candidate Debates: Academic Affairs commissioner

Pictured from left to right are Sujana Sridhar and Natalie Ashkar. Sridhar and Ashkar are running for Undergraduate Students Association Council academic affairs commissioner. (From left to right: Courtesy of Sujana Sridhar and Courtesy of Natalie Ashkar)

One candidate for Undergraduate Students Association Council Academic Affairs commissioner attended the first of the USAC 2023-2024 Candidate Debates on Wednesday.

The USA Elections Board and the Daily Bruin co-hosted a series of debates beginning at 7 p.m. between candidates in the upcoming USAC election. Two candidates are running for Academic Affairs commissioner, a position which handles a $47,000 annual budget. The other candidate, Natalie Ashkar, did not attend Wednesday’s debate.

Sujana Sridhar, a second-year political science and international development student, said she wants to provide more accountability for and transparency on USAC activities. She added that she hopes voters will trust in her experience working as the Academic Senate representative in the Academic Affairs commissioner’s office.

Sridhar also said she hopes to manage the Academic Affairs Commission’s budget responsibly so it doesn’t run out halfway through each quarter, as it has done this year, as well as introduce a third Academic Affairs Commission fund. The Academic Affairs Commission currently manages two programming funds, one for academic travel grants and another for academic success.

“I would also really like to open a third fund specifically to fund technology for Bruins because currently we do fund textbooks, iClickers and other grad prep rental books,” she said.

Students can vote in the election on MyUCLA starting Friday at noon and ending May 12 at 2 p.m.

Features and student life editor

Winward is the 2023-2024 features and student life editor. He was previously a News reporter for campus politics and features and student life. He is also a second-year English literature and statistics student.

×