Ulitsky twins find synchronized success in UCLA women’s rowing

Seniors starboard Irene Ulitsky (left) and port Ellen Ulitsky (right) pose for a picture together. (Photo courtesy of UCLA Athletics. Photo illustration by Isabella Lee/Illustrations Director)

This post was updated June 8 at 12:16 a.m.

Irene and Ellen Ulitsky each fit a side of the same coin.

Rowing beside one another for over six years, the twins have yet to find a ripple of friction in their dynamic.

According to Irene, the two have found a way to complement each other’s strengths.

“We push each other to be the best athletes we could be,” said the senior starboard. “My strengths are Ellen’s weaknesses and vice versa, so we balance each other out very well.”

Competing in the same boats for the entirety of their time with UCLA rowing, the twins have barely seen the water without one another.

And their connection has led to success, according to coach Previn Chandraratna.

“Irene and Ellen are really explosive and aggressive athletes, and they work really well together,” Chandraratna said. “I often pair them up. They are great racers, and I know that if it’s close, they are going to win. They are so competitive and have taught a lot of the other athletes on our team to be the same.”

The duo’s early foray into rowing began at Palo Alto Rowing Club, where they embarked on their competitive journeys through sculling, a form of rowing where each rower handles two oars. In their younger years, they were able to hone their skills in a realm that emphasized individual work rather than collaborative teamwork.

But as they ascended the rungs of high school rowing, the Sunnyvale, California, locals elevated their game when they relocated to Westwood. A novel domain of rowing – involving one oar instead of two – stood before them.

Sweep rowing, inherently designed to force coordination and synchronization, allowed the twins’ teamwork and harmony to reach greater heights. As Irene controls the right-hand oar, Ellen handles the left. Thus, competition between the two stays at a minimum while collaboration reaches its pinnacle.

“We’re actually different sides so we aren’t direct competition, and it’s worked out so well,” Irene said. “We’ve been able to bring this bond off the water as well, and we’ve been really strong mentally and physically for each other.”

Another change the two encountered at the collegiate level was racing in a boat of eight.

According to Ellen, the coordination and faith the two had molded between one another translated to camaraderie in this larger boat of eight.

“As we went to college and there were eight people, I put forth the same mentality as I did with Irene and found that trust in my teammates, which has brought a lot of success to both of us,” the senior port said.

The synergy the twins have learned to manufacture with teammates has instilled newfound levels of confidence in the pair, according to Irene.

“Navigating a team, like a group project or even talking to a professor, you kind of have to build that confidence somewhere,” Irene said. “Rowing has really created that confidence in me to ask for help and talk to someone in a higher position than me and in my personal life when I have to deal with conflicts.”

Ellen holds Irene on her back. The twins raced side-by-side in high school and college, finding strength and confidence in one another and translating this in and out of the water. (Courtesy of UCLA Athletics)

As a three-year varsity letterwinner with the Bruins, Ellen primarily competed in the squad’s varsity eight crew in her junior year. Following a year spearheading the Bruins’ success with four top-three finishes – including a 27-second win over LMU – Ellen earned herself a spot on the USRowing Under 23 National Team this summer.

And when it was just Ellen who was selected on the roster, Irene managed to be supportive and excited for her sister, rather than let jealousy overshadow their close bond.

“That was my goal for the longest time,” Irene said. “I was just so proud that at least one of us got to represent the United States. So instead of being jealous or wishing I was her, I thought, ‘Her success is partly due to me because we work together and we’ve gotten this far together.’”

Even beyond the water, Irene and Ellen’s unwavering support made waves through their synchronized success.

According to Chandraratna, the nurturing bond between the twins is their standout attribute.

“Because they have such a strong well of emotional support, they are able to be really honest about their own training and technique,” Chandraratna said. “They’re able to communicate really honestly with others. There’s absolutely no insecurity, and that’s been one of their greatest strengths.”

In the academic sphere, the twins both embarked on the pre-medical track at UCLA and have prioritized their scholastic pursuits while striking a balance between the demands of studies and sports.

And despite chasing very similar educational dreams, Irene and Ellen have spurred each other on to reach new heights academically.

“Irene is microbiology (microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics) at UCLA, and I am molecular biology (molecular, cell and developmental biology), and I think those are two very competitive majors,” Ellen said. “It’s amazing how we push each other to be the best. My classes are definitely super cutthroat so it’s refreshing to come back and trust someone so much.”

Ever since dipping their toes into the world of competitive rowing, Irene and Ellen could never imagine venturing solo.

“Without having a twin, you’re kind of on your own for most things,” Irene said. “I’m more relaxed and less stressed about my environment, which ultimately allows me to do this for fun because I’ve always had someone next to me.”

Assistant Sports editor

Gorawara is a 2023-2024 assistant Sports editor on the men's volleyball, women's volleyball, men's tennis and rowing beats and is a Copy contributor. She was previously a reporter on the men's volleyball and rowing beats. She is also a second-year communication and economics student.

×