Tuesday, April 16

North Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – June 7

The North Westwood Neighborhood Council is the official neighborhood council representing UCLA and Westwood Village to the Los Angeles City Council. Meetings are held monthly at UCLA’s Weyburn Terrace and are open to the public. The next meeting is tentatively set to be held July 5, but during Wednesday’s meeting, council president Josh Trifunovic said members are considering a day that does not conflict with the Fourth of July.

The July meeting will be the first held under the newly elected council.

Comments by public officials:

• Patricia Macias, Westwood field deputy for District 5 Councilmember Katy Yaroslavsky, said that with UCLA’s upcoming commencements and student move-out approaching, pickup times for large pieces of waste have been scheduled with LA Sanitation. Macias also informed the council and constituents about violations by Habibi Cafe, a Middle Eastern restaurant on Broxton Avenue, which only holds restaurant permits but has been allegedly operating as a nightclub. The city conducted a criminal and on-site investigation, giving Habibi Cafe 15 days from June 5 to comply with permit regulations. The store runs the risk of being closed and having its water and power disconnected if it fails to do so, Macias said. The restaurant closed Monday, and a sign was put up notifying the public of the closure, Macias said.
  • A representative from District 3 Supervisor Lindsey Horvath’s office said that two lifeguard towers at Ginger Rogers Beach, part of Will Rogers State Beach, will be painted with the colors of the Progress Pride Flag on June 17 under a motion approved by the LA County Board of Supervisors. The representative also said Horvath was named an inaugural board member of the LA Homeless Services Authority. Additionally, they shared that in May, Horvath attended a ribbon cutting ceremony for a new homeless shelter in Woodland Hills. Horvath’s representative also said LA Metro’s budget will be used to improve safety, sanitation and comfort while riding the bus, adding that additional transit officers – who respond to and investigate all crimes reported on metro services – will be hired and that they expect bus wait times will be reduced.
  • A representative from California State Assemblymember Rick Zbur’s office said the assemblymember’s recent successes with bills in the assembly, including Assembly Bill 1620, which allows elderly renters and people with disabilities to relocate to accessible apartments without rent increases.
  • Janet Turner, a representative for Rep. Ted Lieu’s office, informed the council of the passage and signing of the Fiscal Responsibility Act of 2023, which prevented the country from defaulting on its debt. Turner also brought up the recently introduced New Collar Jobs Act of 2023, a tax credit for employers who go through cybersecurity training. Turner added that Lieu also co-sponsored the recently introduced Resident Physician Shortage Reduction Act of 2023, which aims to increase the number of residents in qualifying hospitals.
  • Karen McClain, government and community relations liaison for the UCLA Alumni Association, told the council about June screenings at the Billy Wilder Theater in the Hammer Museum presented by the UCLA Film and Television Archive and the UCLA American Indian Studies Center. She also informed the council and constituents about the upcoming Undie Run on June 14 and the United States Golf Association tournament occurring in Westwood on the same weekend as commencement. She also announced some of this year’s commencement speakers, such as LA Mayor Karen Bass, actor Randall Park and city council president Paul Krekorian. She informed the council and constituents about the upcoming hearing for Capital Programs – the department responsible for constructing major projects at UCLA – which will occur June 26 at Gayley Towers. She also provided updates on UCLA’s Nimoy Theater, which is set to open Sept. 17.
  • Scott Quinn, fire captain at LA Fire Department Station 37 on Veteran Avenue, discussed the importance of brush clearance with constituents and the council, emphasizing that the rain this year has caused brush and grass growth.
  • Erica Gatica, Department of Neighborhood Empowerment project coordinator, shared information about State Senate Bill 411, which will allow councils to hold meetings virtually or in person if approved.

Public comment:

• Elisabeth Rosenson, a Metro outreach consultant, said there will be an upcoming environmental review to detect what is under the Sepulveda Transit Corridor being built in Westwood and other local areas. She said that certain areas of Veteran Avenue will be converted into one-way streets for two weeks beginning late June and that parking will be affected.
  • A community member urged the council to recommend the Metro Justice Letter and the Streets for All Letter, both of which advocate for the Sepulveda Transit Corridor.
  • Jacob Wasserman, co-chair of the transportation committee and worker stakeholder-elect, asked if the council could work more on its outreach abilities. He said nothing had been posted about the open graduate student seat on the council.
  • Kevin Wise, managing partner at SCI Executive Services, shared concerns over the safety of businesses on Westwood Boulevard. He said there had been a recent uptick in violence, such as bricks being thrown through businesses’ windows.

Agenda:

• The council was unable to discuss and vote on agenda items because quorum was not met. Nine councilmembers were present and 10 were required.

Announcements:

• The budget and finance committee was able to divert all funds in its Neighborhood Purpose Grant, which provides grants to local nonprofits contributing to the Westwood community.
City and Crime Editor

Steinman is the 2023-2024 city and crime editor. She was previously a city and crime contributor. She is also a fourth-year political science student.

×