Thursday, May 16

UCPD searches for suspects in off-campus battery and hate crime

UCPD is searching for suspects reportedly involved in an off-campus battery and hate crime Sunday morning. 

The incident took place at about 12:55 a.m. on the 400 block of Gayley Avenue, according to a UCPD crime alert that was sent Monday afternoon.  

The suspects reportedly drove past the victim and threw eggs at her and her friends. One suspect reportedly yelled a racial slur and struck the victims with the eggs. 

The suspects are described in the alert as six college-aged men driving a beige or gray Mercedes convertible. 

The victim is a UCLA student and declined medical attention, according to the alert.  

This case is currently under investigation. Anyone with information can call UCPD at 310-825-1491. 

National news and higher education editor

Royer is the 2023-2024 national news and higher education editor. He is also a Sports staff writer on the men’s soccer and softball beats and is Copy staff. He was previously the 2022-2023 city and crime editor and a contributor on the features and student life beat. He is also a fourth-year political science student minoring in labor studies from West Hills, California.