Tuesday, April 30

Letter to the Editor: ASUCLA continues to center well-being of student staff

Dear Editor:

Associated Students UCLA would like to extend its appreciation to the editorial board for engaging to question and seek clarification on macro UC employment matters impacting ASUCLA. It is imperative to note that ASUCLA, while an independent, student-run, nonprofit entity, is a unit of the University of California and is thus subject to UC employment policies and guidelines.

Also, please note that ASUCLA does and will continue to prioritize the well-being of all staff, including our student staff. The referenced instance of 16-hour shift scheduling in the ASUCLA Student Union division is not representative of student shifts throughout the organization. While this was due to an inadvertent scheduling error, ASUCLA, as a responsive, student-centered organization, acknowledges the need to prevent such scheduling instances, even as rare as they may be, in the future.

ASUCLA employs over 1,500 student employees per year and reiterates its long-standing commitment to empowering and beneficial student employment as central to our operational model and philosophy, and in support of the student Bruin journey.

Feedback for ASUCLA is always welcome, as it is an integral part of our continued improvement for the UCLA community.

Thank you,

Associated Students UCLA

×