Friday, May 17

Wolfsglen embraces restaurant rebrand geared toward Westwood community

Pictured is Wolfsglen, a restaurant on Glendon Avenue that serves American-style cuisine. The restaurant recently revamped its menu to meet the desires of the community. (Joseph Jimenez/Photo editor)

This post was updated Oct. 3 at 11:45 p.m. 

Wolfsglen, an American-style cuisine restaurant, has changed its menu since opening a year ago and is now ready for the community to visit.

The restaurant, which is located on Glendon Avenue, has been open since late 2022 but recently revamped its menu and weekly events, which include jazz night, blues night and college night.

Wolfsglen was named after the ranch previously at the location, Wolfskill, and the street it is located on, Glendon Avenue. Since opening, general assistant manager Sammy Espinoza said Wolfsglen has been working to create a menu based on the desires of the community.

“Chef was able to put plates out and see where we were going, what direction we were going in, getting feedback from customers and locals and neighbors,” Espinoza said.

He added that the restaurant was able to train staff and figure out what Wolfsglen’s identity was rather than pushing a style of cuisine onto customers.

“I worked at so many restaurants. I’ve been doing this for 27 years,” Espinoza said. “I’ve seen so many restaurants fail because they push an identity, and they push a concept to the neighborhood that they’re in, and the neighborhood might not want it.”

The menu at the restaurant ranges in cuisine, including wagyu pastrami, kimchi steak tartare and a pineapple glazed salmon with a side of miso mashed potatoes.

Espinoza added that during their soft opening in October, they worked to figure out what works with different groups of people in Westwood, including students.

He said that bartenders have been able to develop their own unique drinks for the menu, and their college night has low drink prices that students can afford. Espinoza added that Wolfsglen’s college night is geared toward giving students a high-end experience that isn’t like a sports bar.

“With a switch of the lights, there’s a total nightclub, nightlife vibe in here, and the kids love it,” Espinoza said.

Darko Tresnjak, a customer at Wolfsglen and the director of “The Engagement Party” at the Geffen Playhouse, said the bar makes a great martini, which he added is hard to find, so he continues to come back. ​

Fidel Guzman, the executive chef at Wolfsglen, said that he has enjoyed working at Wolfsglen over other restaurants because of his ability to experiment and suggest new meals to management.

“I was always under somebody else … where they wanted something different,” Guzman said. “Over here, they let me be me.”

Espinoza said community members can expect to enjoy a sports bar vibe for home UCLA games later this month. The sports bar will have a 4K projector screen and full sound where students can pregame or watch a sports game.

“We are now a year in October, and we are just now doing marketing and PR to let everybody know that we’re here because we’re ready. We’ve identified ourselves, and we’re continuing to evolve in that direction,” Espinoza said.

City and Crime Editor

Steinman is the 2023-2024 city and crime editor. She was previously a city and crime contributor. She is also a fourth-year political science student.

×