Sunday, May 19

UCLA women’s basketball prepares to face CSUN, hopes to maintain win streak

Senior forward Angela Dugalić carries the ball on the court. Dugalić has started five games this season after missing last year due to injury. (Ella Greenberg Winnick/Daily Bruin staff)

Women's Basketball

CSUN
Thursday, 7 p.m.

Pauley Pavilion
No TV info

The Bruins’ nonconference slate has developed into a new demanding test following a four-game homestand to commence the season.

Four road games on the opposite coast in as many weeks. Finals week impending.

“It’s really difficult to get guaranteed games out west right now,” said coach Cori Close.

But sandwiched between two cross-country treks is a home reprieve, as No. 2 UCLA women’s basketball (7-0) will face CSUN (2-4) Thursday evening in Pauley Pavilion. The matchup marks the first time UCLA will play in Westwood since Nov. 17, when Princeton took the hosts down to the wire before a season-high 6,243 spectators.

The Bruins have since escaped unscathed in each of their ensuing matches, maintaining the highest national ranking in program history and touting an undefeated campaign.

Close said rather than focusing on the opponent, she prefers channeling her players’ energy into factors under their control.

“We can’t get distracted by the ‘who,’” Close said. “We need to be consumed with our habits and our improvement. I mean just relentless, like so hungry. … I want us to compete with ourselves to be the best version of ourselves, no matter who we’re playing.”

UCLA will have the opportunity Thursday to further workshop its synergy with 6-foot-7 Stanford transfer Lauren Betts. The sophomore center sinks 81.4% of her field goal attempts – the best conversion in the nation by over six points.

According to Close, the Bruins are ahead of schedule in performing and executing plays that allow Betts to handle business down low.

“I think we’ve adjusted really well at learning how to get Lauren the ball,” Close said. “In the summertime, I was like, ‘This could take us until Christmas,’ and I think we’ve done a good job finding her more and more touches.”

With the addition of Betts, UCLA forwards that would previously alternate between the four and five positions are occupying a dynamic four position this year. One such Bruin is senior Angela Dugalić, who is returning from injury this season and has since earned five starting nods.

Dugalić said her experience playing overseas for the Serbian national team demanded adaptability in different play styles.

“Over there, it’s a lot more strict in the sense of your position,” Dugalić said. “Here, I can play inside-out. … But the biggest thing is just playing with professionals, and it’s a completely different level.”

Close characterized Dugalić as a future “long-term pro” and noted the veteran’s impact on the perimeter, from the midrange and in the paint.

“She might be our most versatile scorer,” Close said. “She can take 3s, she can post up, she’s got a nice stepback midrange game, she can get to the rack – I think that’s something she’s underutilizing. … She’s obviously our only Olympian on the team right now, probably second-time Olympian this summer. (With) Angela, the potential is limitless.”

In the backcourt, graduate student guard Charisma Osborne and sophomore guard Kiki Rice help the Bruins stretch the floor behind .512 and .400 3-point shooting clips, respectively.

Primarily known for her facilitation and tough finishes, the Bruins’ point guard has improved on her .217 3-point percentage last season, while veteran Osborne’s statistic from deep ranks 15th in the nation.

Despite the brief break from Power Five competition, the Bruins recognize every game as an opportunity to improve – and the benefit of playing at home is doing so in front of familiar faces.

“Each game, there’s been more and more people, which has been really nice,” Dugalić said. “I just like seeing the same fans all over again. And I love seeing new ones.”

Wang is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the women’s basketball, men’s basketball, NIL and football beats. She was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women’s basketball, men’s soccer, men’s golf and track and field beats, reporter on the women’s basketball beat and contributor on the men’s and women’s golf beats. Wang is also a fourth-year history major and community engagement and social change minor.

×