Wednesday, May 8

UCLA women’s golf looks to stay strong ahead of season’s close

Redshirt junior Alessia Nobilio eyes the ball after her swing. (Courtesy of Ross Turteltaub/UCLA Athletics)

After more than a month of out-of-state tournaments, the Bruins will finally return to California.

Coming off of two successful back-to-back tournaments, with overall first-place wins and personal wins from junior Zoe Antoinette Campos at both, No. 3 UCLA women’s golf will take on fellow Pac-12 team Washington State, No. 24 Pepperdine and No. 25 San Jose State among others at the Silicon Valley Showcase in Millbrae, CA.

Campos brought home the gold for UCLA after placing first at both The Show and the Nanea Pac-12 Preview. Her performance places her sixth in program history in terms of collegiate career wins.

Due to her performance at Nanea, she was named Pac-12 Player of the Week and added to the ANNIKA Award Spring Watch List just several weeks ago.

“It’s been great to see that for her. It’s all you could really wish for and hope for any of the golfers that come through,” said assistant coach Erynne Yoo. “I know they (team members) all have aspirations to turn pro.”

The Bruins have only three tournaments remaining in their regular season before they compete in the Pac-12 Championships. As the season nears its close, the golfers said they are working to keep their heads level and in the game.

“For me, I’m just hoping to get better at accepting everything and accepting what’s happening. Everything happens for a reason,” Campos said. “I have been playing well, but just taking those good moments and moving forward.”

This focus on mentality can be seen in Campos’ teammates as well. Redshirt junior Alessia Nobilio has also found success in her recent tournaments, earning back-to-back top-10 wins.

The Italian native has also been striving to stay in the moment.

“(I’m) just staying in the present and doing the best I could to be able to perform well,” Nobilio said. “Just trying to stay calm and focus on the things that I can control.”

As the Bruins near the end of one of their most successful seasons on record, the hope is to continue their quality performance and to keep negativity out of mind.

This weekend’s lineup will be identical to last’s, with performances from senior Kate Villegas and juniors Caroline Canales, Tiffany Le and Natalie Vo, alongside Campos and Nobilio. Vo will compete as UCLA’s representative in the individual round, as she did at The Show last weekend, where she placed 31st out of 77.

The Bruins will tee off in Millbrae on Monday in a shotgun start as the end of their season approaches.

×