USAC Recap – April 16

The Undergraduate Students Association Council held its third meeting of April on Tuesday.

USAC is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings are open to all students and take place in person in the Bruin Viewpoint room and on Zoom every Tuesday at 7 p.m. Students can find the links for the meetings on the agenda posted on the USAC website or watch a livestream on the USAC Live! channel on YouTube.

Public comment:

• A student called on the council to instill a USAC-wide anti-Blackness awareness training. The student said the recent veto of funding for Black academic reparations made them concerned with how USAC can better serve underrepresented students.

Funding:

• The council allocated $10,991.80 from the Contingency Programming Fund to one USAC entity and 36 non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $6,080 from the Supplemental Fund for Service to seven non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $660 from the Academic Success Referendum Fund to three non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $750 from the Student Wellness Fund to one USAC entity.

Appointments:

• The council unanimously appointed Darion Phan as the USA Elections Board finance director.
  • The council unanimously appointed Howard Zhang as the USA Elections Board endorsements director.
  • The council unanimously appointed Emeka Egu as the USA Elections Board external relations director.
  • The council unanimously appointed Jasy Bermejo as the Student Wellness Commission representative for the Campus Retention Committee.

Officer reports:

• President Naomi Hammonds said she did outreach to various clubs on campus, helped the Afrikan Student Union’s new student admit weekend and spoke to prospective students at Bruin Day.
  • Internal Vice President Megan Law said the housing relief fund is open until May 7 and requested council members share information about it on social media. She added that her office is also working on creating a new housing guide. Law said her office is working on a funding transparency report, funding workshops, a club networking event and de-stress events adding that her office is collaborating with the Academic Affairs Commission on a resource fair April 24.
  • External Vice President Eva Jussim said in her written report that she met with Bruin Parenting Scholars who said they want more community engagement with their caregivers luncheon at noon on April 22. Jussim’s written report also said the Grassroots Organizers for Working Students Grant “is finished for the year,” and she is now reviewing it. Jussim’s office will hold democracy workshops April 23 and May 21, and she has scheduled stakeholder meetings relating to November’s general election.
  • General Representative Katie Pool said she will be attending as many of the USA/BOD Programming Fund hearings as possible to publicize and explain the application process. In her written report, Pool said she met with a new student organization about an event on Bruin Walk promoting Sexual Assault Awareness Month and sharing resources relating to it.
  • General Representative Gabby Lasry was not present at the meeting, and her written report was not updated.
  • General Representative Jonathan Valenzuela Mejia said his transparency report will be posted this week. Valenzuela Mejia said his office will be hosting a second Latine Caucus next week, and he also attended the Latinx Admit Weekend to speak with prospective Bruins about USAC. Valenzuela Mejia also provided a statement condemning the University of Southern California’s cancellation of Asna Tabassum’s valedictorian speech at the school’s spring 2024 graduation.
  • Academic Affairs Commissioner Sujana Sridhar said her office will host its summer resource fair April 24. She added that her office will host an installation of the game “We’re Not Really Strangers” at Bruin Plaza on April 24. Sridhar also said her office-sponsored events with the Muslim Student Association and the Middle Eastern Student Association during Arab Heritage Month.
  • Campus Events Commissioner Mason Miller said his office held its “Funk’d Up” concert cut April 17. Miller also said the Short Takes Film Festival will be held June 3, with submissions due May 1.
  • Community Service Commissioner Chia Ying Wong said her office is looking for representatives to present its advocacy work at the service APEC summit. The Robert S. Michaels Leadership in Service Award is also open for applications, Wong said. She added that her office is collaborating with DiverSWC to help host the Equity in Mind Conference.
  • Cultural Affairs Commissioner Alicia Verdugo read a comment denouncing USC’s cancellation of its valedictorian speech.
  • Facilities Commissioner Nilaya Kanuri gave reminders about events her office hosted, including a book talk, a disability and environmental justice workshop, and a “mobilizing for mobility” event. She added that she is also working on sustainability initiatives and attended the Campus Bike Advisory Committee meeting.
  • Financial Supports Commissioner Sara Broukhim referenced her written report, which has not been updated.
  • Student Wellness Commissioner Jennis Kang said she and Hammonds will meet with experts to discuss the Arthur Ashe Student Health & Wellness Center’s increase in premiums. Kang also said for Bruin Health Week, her office held the Bruin Health Festival, Equity in Mind conference and Bruin Run/Walk. Kang also said her office will be holding Massage Monday every week in Kerckhoff Grand Salon.
  • Transfer Student Representative Meagan Harmon said her office is working on establishing a relationship with Charlie Kratus from “Good Morning UCLA.” Harmon added that she spoke on a panel about diverse students as a part of the Student Transfer Outreach and Mentorship Program. Harmon’s office established a planning committee for graduation photos and student staff appreciation night, she said, adding that her office has been hosting Instagram takeovers, including Chi Alpha Psi, Asian Pacific Coalition and the Armenian Students’ Association.
  • International Student Representative Adam Tfayli gave a statement denouncing USC’s cancellation of its valedictorian’s speech. Tfayli also referenced his written report, which said he attended the International Students Association Council meeting on April 15 and discussed issues concerning international students on various UC campuses.

Agenda discussion:

A representative from the Student Labor Advocacy Project gave a presentation on its support for a resolution addressing labor rights at the Hong Seng Knitting factory, a factory associated with Nike. The student said the resolution urges Chancellor Gene Block and the ASUCLA Board of Directors to end any licensing agreements with Nike should Nike refuse to pay their workers. The student asked the council to vote in favor of the resolution, which will be voted on at its next meeting.

×