Sunday, May 5

Encampment led by students in support of Palestine begins outside Royce Hall

An encampment in front of Royce Hall is pictured. The encampment, organized by Students for Justice in Palestine, garnered the attention of over 100 people by 10 a.m. Thursday. (Zimo Li/Daily Bruin)

This post was updated April 25 at 11:02 a.m.

An encampment led by students in support of Palestine began Thursday morning outside of Royce Hall. 

The encampment was organized by Students for Justice in Palestine, and garnered the attention of around 100 students by 10 a.m. The encampment is one of several protests that have occurred on campus in support of Palestine since October. 

Palestinian political party and militant group Hamas attacked Israeli villages Oct. 7, with continued attacks since then, according to the Associated Press. In response, Israel attacked the Gaza Strip with a ground invasion, as well as bombings and airstrikes, killing more than 34,000 Palestinians, according to AP.

UCLA’s encampment is one of several to take place on college campuses since Columbia University’s encampment began last week, with more occurring at Harvard, Cal Poly Humboldt and the University of Southern California, according to AP

A BruinALERT Thursday morning announced that access to Royce Hall and Powell Library has been restricted to those with a BruinCard.

“We’re actively monitoring this situation to support a safe and peaceful campus environment that respects our community’s right to free expression while minimizing disruption to our teaching and learning mission,” UCLA said in the BruinALERT.

This is a developing story, and more information will be added as it becomes available. 

City and Crime Editor

Steinman is the 2023-2024 city and crime editor. She was previously a city and crime contributor. She is also a fourth-year political science student.