Thursday, May 2

Women’s soccer squashes Central Florida comeback attempt, advances to round of 16

As the Bruins’ playoff opener seemed to indicate, nothing is ever promised during the postseason.

The UCLA women’s soccer team clinched a 2-1 victory over No. 4 seed Central Florida on Saturday in the second round of the NCAA Tournament at Drake Stadium after withstanding a furious comeback attempt from the Knights (15-5-3) in the waning minutes of the match.

The Bruins (13-7-2) seized the lead in the 42nd minute on a corner kick from the far left side of the field. Senior midfielder and Daily Bruin photographer Dana Wall played a perfect ball from her corner position to senior defender Elise Britt, who directed a header into the net for her first goal of the season.

UCLA then notched what eventually became the game winner on yet another header in the 49th minute. Senior defender Lauren Barnes initiated the counterattack, sprinting up the near left flank before sending a cross to the opposite side to junior forward Sydney Leroux, who leaped and knocked the ball into the lower left corner for the 2-0 lead.

Central Florida’s sophomore defender Bianca Joswiak then netted a goal of her own in the 76th minute to bring her team back into contention. In fact, the Knights went off to fire off four shots ““ two of which were on goal ­”“ during the last 14-minute stretch of the match.

But UCLA, which defeated Brigham Young on Thursday night in an opening-round penalty shootout win, fended off the mounting pressure and lived to fight another day. With the win, UCLA advances to the round of 16 and will next play the winner of Sunday’s match between Stanford and Santa Clara.