Sunday, May 5

Women’s track and field posts strong individual performances in last home meet of season

On a weekend dominated by the pursuit for a green jacket in the Masters, a man in a red jacket took the shots at Drake Stadium where the UCLA women’s track and field team hosted the Rafer Johnson/Jackie Joyner Kersee Invitational.

The starter, red jacket and all, introduced world-famous athletes such as Olympic gold medalists Dawn Harper and Allyson Felix ““ the latter arguably the fastest woman in the world ““ before sounding the gun to start the races.

Familiar faces such as Bruin alumna and NCAA champion Nicole Leach and 2008 Olympian for Trinidad and Tobago Rhonda Watkins were also in the crowd, not to mention the woman the meet was named after, Jackie Joyner Kersee.

“With the fan participation and how much the crowd was getting into it, along with the world-class athletes, everyone got to see a show, one that most people could only imagine seeing on television,” coach Jeanette Bolden said.

“To have two of the best all-around track and field athletes of all time in Rafer and Jackie at UCLA at our disposable, the faces of track and field, is a blessing. They have this grace and dignity that draw people to them.”

The star-studded cast didn’t serve merely as a publicity stunt but was also a source of inspiration for the Bruins.

“We were able to line up against some of the world’s best athletes and actually stay competitive with them,” freshman heptathlete Tatum Souza said. “To watch us compete with professionals and be right up there with them shows the strength of our team.”

These World Champions and Olympians helped motivate the Bruins to another successful meet after a nail-biter last week against Tennessee. Despite 12 other schools competing and other unattached entries, UCLA still flexed the prowess with which it has established itself as a respected track and field program.

Souza was successful, scoring a lifetime best 4,927 points. She accumulated powerful performances in numerous events, including a lifetime-best throw in the javelin of 121 feet, 4 inches. Freshman heptathlete Kimmie Conner finished fourth overall, exercising the Bruin success in that event.

“My goal going into the competition was to get ranked and have a good spot going into Pac-10 competition, and I got that even with my mistakes,” Souza said.

UCLA packed a one-two punch in the 200 meters with senior sprinter Joy Eaton finishing first and junior sprinter Nijah Nelms finishing second. Eaton finished with a time of 24.61 seconds and Nelms finished with a time of 24.95 seconds.

Freshman thrower Ida Storm and redshirt junior pole vaulter Tori Anthony won their respective events.

For the second meet in a row, Storm won the hammer throw by almost 30 feet with a mark of 203-7. Anthony’s season-best vault of 13-7.25 places her in the top 15 in the NCAA.

“She’s been battling injuries, so it’s good to see Tori back and competing on a regular basis and getting back on the national level,” Bolden said. “That’s a good feeling that will boost the team.”

The Bruins are midway through their season and are happy to be where they are.

“We’re getting ready for our push at the USC meet and with other Pac-10 schools,” Bolden said. “We’re in a good place right now without any “˜have-to’ meets in our near future.”