Sunday, May 5

Trolley service on the Hill enables laziness

The editorial board is composed of multiple Daily Bruin staff members and is dedicated to publishing informed opinions on issues relevant to students. The board serves as the official voice of the paper and is separate from the newsroom.

UCLA prides itself on promoting active lifestyles among its students. But the recently introduced trolley that ferries students between dining halls on the Hill completely contradicts this mission.

On Wednesday, UCLA Dining Services began a 30-day test trial of a trolley service that will run from De Neve turnaround to Hedrick Court ““ approximately a half mile, which equates to no more than a 10-minute walk.

The service is in place to alleviate congestion within De Neve dining hall by transporting students who would otherwise choose to not walk to Hedrick.

But if the crowd within De Neve dining hall was truly unbearable, students would alleviate this problem themselves by walking to less crowded dining halls.

It is less about the cost of the trolley than the principle ““ UCLA Transportation officials say the UCLA Bruin Bus is of no serious financial burden, and the bus was otherwise sitting unused. However, there could be better uses than shuttling students half a mile uphill.

And because Hedrick dining hall has similar menus and dining experiences, there is really no incentive for students living in the De Neve area to hike up the Hill for meals or to take the trolley.

Dining services should not be paying for students who are unwilling to walk up the Hill to Hedrick Court. The trolley service is subsidizing laziness ““ rewarding the students who have complained of crowded dining halls and are unwilling to walk to less crowded areas.

Furthermore, the shuttle only runs every 10 minutes ““ the time students spend waiting for the bus could exceed the time it takes to walk up to Hedrick Court. The hassle of taking the trolley is altogether not much different than fighting for a table and a meal in De Neve.

Furthermore, an expanded menu with healthier and more diverse options should be explored for Hedrick ­”“ sushi is evidently not enough to draw students inside.

With an expanded menu, students would be rewarded for their willingness to walk with better food. More salient food alternatives in Hedrick Court could prove a more effective way of eliciting student willingness to make the walk.

Doing so would not only relieve congestion but also promote healthier lifestyles among UCLA students.

The UCLA Bruin Bus’ route up the Hill is only in its initial trial, and UCLA Dining Services will look at its effectiveness and student evaluations before deciding whether to make it a permanent service.

Upon finalizing the report, UCLA Dining Services should make the cost/benefit analysis of this bus service public. And then analyze whether or not the service supports the overarching mission of the university.

Unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the editorial board.