Men's volleyball falls in three sets against USC in second consecutive upset

Senior quick hitter Thomas Amberg had six kills in UCLA's loss.

Charlie Wang

Men’s Volleyball

USC 3
UCLA 0

Chasing an errant ball in the third set, senior setter Kyle Caldwell barreled into a water cooler, spilling its contents across the floor. As the janitors began mopping up the mess, USC continued mopping up a sloppy UCLA team.

After a five-set loss to Irvine on Saturday, UCLA men’s volleyball followed up with a dud on Wednesday, losing to USC 3-0 in what was clearly its worst match of the season.

“One hundred percent yes this is the worst loss of the season, because this is the first time that we have lost to an opponent we know that we can beat,” said senior quick hitter Thomas Amberg.

This was the Bruins’ first time being swept all season, and coming against their biggest rival only made things worse.

While the UCLA Bruins (18-4, 12-3 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) showed intensity throughout the loss to the UC Irvine Anteaters, that fire was completely lacking against the No. 3 Trojans (14-4, 11-4).

“We had a lot of guys that just came out here and thought we could win,” said redshirt senior quick hitter Weston Dunlap.

“We didn’t really have the calmness we usually have and it was so obvious. I’m sure everybody in this building saw we were just dead tonight.”

Although Wednesday’s loss didn’t have the same close ending as the loss to UC Irvine, the players were just as upset afterwards.

“I’m just furious right now,” Dunlap said.

“I can’t believe that just happened.”

After two straight losses for the No. 2 Bruins ““ the team’s first losing streak of the season ““ it’s clear changes need to be made to the team’s mindset.

“Tomorrow we’re showing up early and if anybody shows up like they did tonight, it’s not going to be a pleasant sight,” Dunlap said.

The losses stand in stark contrast to UCLA’s 10-match winning streak earlier in the season.

“We’ve had it easy for so long and now we have to battle through the tough stuff,” said coach Al Scates.

The consecutive losses will likely send the Bruins further down the rankings, but they remain positive about their positioning as the postseason approaches.

“We’re still in the driver’s seat in the MPSF,” Amberg said.

“We’re tied with Irvine now. As long as we play our game, I’m very confident we’ll make a good run for the NCAA championship.”

But before they look that far ahead, UCLA needs to demonstrate that it is the same dominant team that it was before this slump.

“We have a lot to prove now,” Amberg said. “We’re not the top team anymore and that’s for goddamn sure.”