Friday, May 3

PhoTACOphy: Tito’s Tacos

Tito’s Tacos

Location: 11222 Washington Pl., Culver City

Hours: S-Th 10 – 10 p.m.; Fr-Sat 10 a.m. – 11 p.m.

To Try: Tito’s Tacos w/ Cheese

Tito’s has been a local legend in the LA taco scene and a prime example of the mom-n-pop gringo tacos, the Americanized, hard-shell classic that everyone’s regrettably eaten after their midnight pub crawl. Thankfully Tito’s leaves little reminder to the mediocrity of those fast food taco chains. The taco is simple and is faithful to the gringo taco formula – ground beef stuffed in a crunchy shell layered with shredded lettuce, tomatoes and cheese, and instead relies on the quality of their ingredients. Now, Tito’s is of no relation to the skimpy, fake, flavorless, empty, sad excuses that are Taco Bell for the Tito’s taco is the real gringo deal. With every bite striking those familiar and culturally appropriated taco flavors, it is what a gringo taco should aspire to be. The taste of seasoned, ground beef is fully appreciated next to the shredded, iceberg lettuce and diced tomatoes while the mound of cheese makes the chewing all the easier. Additionally, the complimentary tomato salsa and verde option, hardly make for a boring taco eating experience. Unfortunately, the clear expression of it all is muddied by the medium itself: how good can a gringo taco get? It’s not surprising that this might be it, but for me to admit “the only thing better than a Tito’s taco is two” would be false. On a value basis $2.75 isn’t exactly the cheapest; but, for those who are looking for promising gringo tacos in LA to break those monotonous Taco Tuesdays at Del Taco, Tito’s makes for an out of the ordinary lunch or impromptu late night munchies.

Review by Brandon Choe

Neil Bedi