Tuesday, May 7

UCLA’s Jaylen Clark named Naismith Defensive Player of the Year

UCLA men's basketball junior guard Jaylen Clark gives an acceptance speech after becoming the first Bruin to win the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year award. Clark declared for the 2023 NBA Draft on Wednesday.(Courtesy of Atlanta Tipoff Club)

This post was updated April 2 at 10:29 p.m.

The best defender in college basketball resides in Westwood.

UCLA men’s basketball junior guard Jaylen Clark was announced as the recipient of the 2023 Naismith Defensive Player of the Year award Sunday morning. Earlier this season, Clark became the first Bruin since Russell Westbrook in 2008 to win the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and now becomes the first UCLA player to win the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year.

The guard ranked fourth in the country with 2.6 steals per game and spearheaded a UCLA defense that ranked among the top teams in the country all season.

But Clark’s season ended short after he sustained an Achilles injury in the final game of the regular season March 4. In his acceptance speech in Houston on Sunday, Clark thanked those who have helped him achieve his goals.

“Unfortunate the way my season ended but very proud of myself,” Clark said in the speech. “Thankful for my family and everyone around me, and just happy I was able to make this accomplishment. I appreciate everybody.”

The award comes four days after Clark announced on his Instagram that he would be declaring for the 2023 NBA Draft. He was slated to miss most of the 2023-2024 season if he did return to Westwood for his senior season.

[Related: UCLA men’s basketball’s Jaylen Clark declares for 2023 NBA Draft]

The 6-foot-5 guard had a breakout junior season, ranking third on the team in scoring at 13 points per game and second in rebounding with six boards per night. But Clark made his mark on the defensive end of the floor, leading UCLA to the best scoring defense in the conference.

During his acceptance speech, Clark reminisced on his time with the Bruins, recalling how much has changed since his freshman year.

“My journey’s been crazy,” Clark said. “I remember from not being a highly touted recruit to my freshman year being pulled into the coach’s office, and they (were) like, ‘If you want to play more, we’re going to have to play you at center.’ I ain’t ever played center my whole life.”

Clark played sparsely his freshman and sophomore seasons before finding a consistent role in the starting lineup this season.

He said that after his sophomore season, he made it a mission to turn his UCLA career around.

“I remember that summer, I went in there and was like, ‘I’m going to set these goals,’” Clark said. “And I hit every goal on my list.”

Sports editor

Settleman was the 2022-2023 Sports editor on the football, men's basketball and gymnastics beats. He was previously an assistant editor on the gymnastics, women's soccer, women's golf, men's water polo and women's water polo beats and a contributor on the gymnastics and women's water polo beats.