Sunday, April 28

District 5 interim housing to provide beds for people experiencing homelessness

Pictured is Midvale Avenue in Westwood. The Los Angeles City Council approved the creation of an interim housing facility on the corner of Pico Boulevard and Midvale Avenue for people experiencing homelessness. (Catherine Hamilton/Daily Bruin senior staff)

The Los Angeles city council unanimously approved a project Oct. 20 to build an interim housing facility for people experiencing homelessness in Westwood.

The project will be located at the site of a city-owned parking lot on the corner of Pico Boulevard and Midvale Avenue. It was first introduced by District 5 Councilmember Katy Yaroslavsky to the city council in August. The project involves a collaboration with the construction company, LifeArk, to build a facility containing 33 single-bed units with attached bathrooms, on-site laundry services, meal provisions and assistance resources for a variety of issues, including mental health and substance abuse.

Interim housing differs from permanent housing options in that it serves as a short-term space of rehabilitation before people can move into long-term housing options, said Leo Daube, Yaroslavksy’s communications director.

“It’s temporary in that people aren’t expected to stay there for a long time,” he said. “It’s really just a place for them to come off the street, get back on their feet and then transition to more permanent supportive housing solutions.”

Zeke Sandoval, the public policy manager for People Assisting the Homeless, a statewide organization dedicated to ending homelessness, said that although permanent housing is his end goal, interim housing can help provide instant security for people experiencing homelessness.

“I know that Councilwoman Yaroslavsky is doing all she can to bring more permanent housing online as well,” he said. “But we need to save lives here, and interim housing is a good way of doing that.”

Yaroslavsky said in the city council meeting that District 5 currently does not have any interim housing options for adults aged 18 to 55, which she said adds to the necessity of the project.

“What this means for my constituents, not only in Westwood but across the entire district, is that when we are trying to resolve an encampment and bring people inside, off the street and into housing, it’s nearly impossible,” she said.

According to the most recent report by the LA Homeless Services Authority, there were 1,252 individuals experiencing homelessness in District 5 in 2022.

Sandoval said homelessness has largely been unaddressed in District 5.

“We are in this crisis because for too long, … we have not built permanent housing equitably, and we haven’t sited interim housing equitably, and that has to change,” Sandoval said. “We are thrilled to see Councilwoman Yaroslavsky take this position.”

However, the decision by the council to approve the leasing and construction of the project caused concern from community members about the impact on the safety of their homes and businesses. The Westside Neighborhood Council, which is also in District 5, opposed the project 12-2 prior to the city council’s vote, according to the council.

Michael Lens, an associate professor of urban planning in the Luskin School of Public Affairs, said opposition to the project shows how neighborhood-level policies produce different opinions from local community members.

“When it comes to some of these very localized issues, whether it’s housing development, or traffic, or homelessness, people have a difference of opinion,” he said. “They feel these issues very deeply because it’s going on on their sidewalks.”

Sandoval said he understands the uneasiness within the local neighborhood, but that the burden of responsibility to deal with the issue of homelessness must be shared by every member of the community.

Yaroslavsky added in the council meeting that she and her team will ensure that there are measures taken to address community concerns about the project.

“To the entire community, you have my word that we are going to work with the community, LAPD and the service provider to develop a robust neighborhood security plan,” she said. “If it becomes clear after this project opens that it isn’t working, we will make any necessary adjustments, or if absolutely necessary, we’ll shut it down.”

Daube said the project design will have other safety measures, including the enforcement of a 1,000-foot no-camping zone surrounding the facility as well as 24-hour security on the site. He added that the project is set to begin construction early next year, with the goal of opening in late 2024.

Daube said the councilwoman’s team and its partners are determined to have this facility operate smoothly and effectively to ensure that more like it can be built in the future.

“What we’re committed to is making sure this is the best, best damn run interim housing facility in the city of Los Angeles because it has to be, right?” Daube said. “It can’t be the last in council District 5.”

×