Editorial: Together with Alternative 6, Alternative 5 presents opportunity for more efficient transit

The editorial board is composed of multiple Daily Bruin staff members and is dedicated to publishing informed opinions on issues relevant to students. The board serves as the official voice of the paper and is separate from the newsroom.

After recognizing the benefits offered by Alternative 6, the Editorial Board also endorses Alternative 5 as a tangible solution for reduced transit times and more efficient travel.

Both alternatives would implement policies that feature a heavy rail and underground design. However, Alternative 5’s proposal is slightly different in terms of the travel frequency, ridership estimates, number of stations and alignment with the Metro E Line.

Alternative 5 is projected to run more trains by the hour with a travel frequency of 2.5 minutes. Meanwhile, Alternative 6 will run trains every four minutes. This higher frequency of train travel would provide Bruins with more flexibility and efficient travel.

On top of that, Alternative 5 also offers the highest overall ridership of over 121,000 passengers per weekday compared to over 107,000 for Alternative 6. The increase in ridership for Alternative 5 is in part due to the added station at Sherman Way, attracting over 6,000 riders per weekday, as well as the travel frequency.

The final difference between Alternatives 5 and 6 is that the alignment may play a role in future line extensions in West Los Angeles. The Alternative 5 southern terminus station is connected to the E Line’s Expo/Sepulveda Station, while Alternative 6 is connected to the E Line’s Expo/Bundy Station.

Although Alternative 6 encompasses robust amenities and services, it is essential to acknowledge the strength of Alternative 5 to carry out equally – or arguably more –efficient operations.

With great consideration of these critical factors, the Board calls on LA Metro to also closely evaluate the implementation of Alternative 5 to bolster transportation accessibility for the UCLA community and beyond.

×