Sunday, April 28

UCLA campus experiences flooding, facility closures from record rainfall

A fallen tree on the UCLA campus is pictured. Heavy rainfall in Los Angeles has caused flooding and leaks on campus. (Myka Fromm/Assistant Photo editor)

This post was updated Feb. 6 at 9:48 p.m.

UCLA experienced flooding and fallen trees as heavy rain arrived in Los Angeles on Sunday and Monday.

The National Weather Service issued a number of rare flash flood warnings for central and western LA County on Sunday afternoon and Monday morning. Flooding and high winds caused by the heavy rain led Gov. Gavin Newsom to issue a state of emergency in the county. Rain is expected to continue throughout the week, with the heaviest downpour Sunday and Monday, according to ABC News.

Sunday’s rainfall set the record for the most rain received in a day in southwestern California, according to the National Weather Service.

Maintenance staff are continuing to address flooding on campus, according to an emailed statement from UCLA Facilities Management.

“The campus continues normal operations as maintenance crews continue to address water intrusion of varying degrees in several campus facilities,” it said in the statement.

A tree fell by Kerckhoff Patio, and Northern Lights and the James Bridges Theater at Melnitz Hall experienced flooding Monday morning.

[Related: Heavy rain continues to affect UCLA community as classes remain scheduled]

The Veteran Resource Center in Kerckhoff Hall experienced leaks Monday morning, according to a VRC spokesperson. A post on Reddit also claimed a lounge in Sunset Village flooded, with leaks from the lounge’s windows also being reported.

Collins Court in the John Wooden Center also closed Monday because of inclement weather, according to the UCLA Recreation website.

A number of professors in departments including comparative literature, communication, history and linguistics adjusted the format of their classes to allow for online attendance Monday. However, in a campus-wide statement Sunday, UCLA said no changes to campus operations were expected.

“Based on discussions with our campus response teams regarding current information and weather predictions associated with the storm, campus will remain open tomorrow, Feb. 5, and classes will occur as usual,” it said in the statement. “However, extra caution should be used while commuting to campus as some roads may experience localized flooding.”

This is a developing story and will continue to be updated as more information becomes available. 

City and Crime Editor

Steinman is the 2023-2024 city and crime editor. She was previously a city and crime contributor. She is also a fourth-year political science student.