Monday, April 29

UCLA Dining to introduce breakfast, late-night options in spring 2024

Students in the De Neve dining hall are pictured. The dining hall will begin to offer late-night pizza options during Week 2 of spring quarter. (Daily Bruin file photo)

This post was updated on March 8 at 12:04 a.m.

UCLA Dining will offer new breakfast and late-night dining options next quarter.

Bruin Café and Epicuria at Ackerman will serve breakfast options starting next quarter, while De Neve dining hall will also offer a pilot program to bring back its late-night dining options, according to an emailed statement from UCLA Dining.

Bruin Café will open from 7 to 9 a.m. and will serve breakfast bowls, coffee and pastries, UCLA Dining said in the statement. It added that Epicuria at Ackerman will offer breakfast items from 10 to 11 a.m. on weekdays, with a menu that is currently under development.

De Neve’s late-night pilot program will start the second week of spring quarter, according to the statement. Twelve-inch pizzas along with 22-ounce soft drinks are among the menu additions.

Late-night dining options are not new to De Neve – during the 2022-2023 academic year, the dining hall offered chicken tenders and burgers, but it is not doing so now because of staffing shortages.

The dining hall also previously offered a late-night pizza option on a preorder basis but has not done so since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic. UCLA Dining had previously told the Daily Bruin that staffing shortages across the hospitality industry led to the change of operating hours post-pandemic.

UCLA Dining also currently uses external food truck vendors to serve food to students, though it has stopped offering this option during lunch meal slots. UCLA Dining said in the statement that no further changes to food truck operations are currently planned.

[Related: UCLA food trucks to remain a dining option for 2023-2024 school year]

The university is also currently piloting an off-campus meal plan for students living in university-owned apartments. Currently, students living in University Apartments North – which includes the Palo Verde and Tipuana apartment buildings – are able to purchase 35 meals at the cost of $525 per quarter. 

In the statement, UCLA Dining said the changes were made out of a desire to better serve students. 

“As dining shores-up its staffing levels, it is our goal to adjust our operations to better serve our housing-dining community,” it said in the statement.

Features and student life editor

Winward is the 2023-2024 features and student life editor. He was previously a News reporter for campus politics and features and student life. He is also a second-year statistics and english literature student.